"No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found"

stan stanl at cox.net
Sun Jul 22 19:32:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:17:57 +0200
Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:

> Glad the problem is resolved for you. It would still be worthwhile
> finding out why the snd-hda-codec module is missing in the latest
> kernel.
>
> I see that kernel 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 is using an earlier version of the
> alsa driver. (thats the kernel with the missing snd-hda-codec). See
> below.
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14 (Thu May 31
> 09:03:25 2007 UTC).
>
> By contrast, the earlier kernel version 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 appears to
> be using a later version of the alsa driver. (this kernel has both
> snd-hda-intel, and snd-hda-codec) See below.
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14rc3 (Wed Mar
> 14 07:25:50 2007 UTC).

The 1.0.14 is the latest stable version of the alsa libraries.  They
were all named with a rc1-4 until the final release with no modifier.

On my fully updated F7 cat /proc/asound/version gives 1.0.14 while the
latest rpm package is 1.0.14.rc3.  There should be a fedora package
update for alsa coming out soon, I'm thinking.  Takashi Iwai has said on
the alsa-devel list that there were many changes between rc3 and the
final version of alsa 1.0.14.  Perhaps the intel issue is one of the
changes.

I'm having some obscure alsa development problems and so have been
researching this.