Mystery of chroot

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jul 22 20:40:54 UTC 2007

Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2007/07/22 11:28 (GMT-0500) Mikkel L. Ellertson apparently typed:
>
>> One other thing to keep in mind is that it is better to create the
>> first partition using Windows. Windows and Linux do not always agree
>> on the geometry of the drive. If you create a partition using
>> Windows, then Linux fdisk will see the geometry that Windows is
>> using and use it.
>
> Doz needs reinstalling far more often than Linux, so better to understand
> how to make the problem of installing doz after Linux a non-issue. If you
> use a cross-platform partitioning tool, geometry differences according to
> what's booted shouldn't be an issue.
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html

Unless you are wiping the drive, re-installing DOS or windows will
not change the geometry used. You can re-install to the same
partition, reformatting it if necessary, and not have to worry. You
may have to re-install Grub, or recreate grubboot if you use the
Windows boot loader to load Grub.

I find it interesting that the artical is calling for a
"cross-platform partitioning tool" but does not give an example of
one. I know that Linux fdisk warns that you may run into problems
unless you create at least one partition with the other OS if you
are installing more then one on the same drive. Fdisk will figure
out the geometry the other OS is using, and conform to it. It would
be different if we were using the "real" drive geometry, but nobody
does with todays drives. So you have to agree on the "fake" geometry
you are going to use.

Mikkel