Sylpheed 2.3.1 rpm and 2.4.4 self-compile

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Jul 22 21:56:41 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> As there is a fix for the gmail bug in the latest  version of
> Sylpheed that has not yet made it into the F7 repository, I decided
> to compile it myself.
>
> rpmbuild -ta --clean sylpheed-2.4.4.tar.bz2
>
> I then did "yum remove sylpheed" and "rpm -i
> sylpheed-2.4.4-1.i386.rpm "
>
> It works fine with the exception of automatic spell checking.
>
> On the F7 repository build of Sylpheed 2.3.1, Configuration - Common
> Preferences - Compose - Spell Checking exists.
>
> On my self-compile of 2.4.4, there is no Spell Checking tab under
> that same Compose menu.
>
> The only references I can find to spell checking on Sylpheed are
> instructions for how to implement ispell or aspell to run off of the
> editor tab in the compose window.
>
> So the question is:  Why does the repository build of Sylpheed have
> an on-the-fly spelling checker when my self-compile of a newer
> version doesn't?
>
> I suspect I have missed something that is required to compile this
> thing with on-the-fly spelling checker, but I can't find any
> reference that tells me what that would be.

I would guess that as well.  There may be options to configure that
need to be added to enable these features, or libraries present at
build time.  Instead of using the spec file provided in the sylpheed
tarball (which is what rpmbuild -ta does), I would try rebuilding from
the last Fedora srpm.  Download that and install it via rpm -ivh[1].

Edit the spec file to reflect the new version.  You may want to set
the release tag to 0.1, so that when the Fedora update comes out, it
will update your version.  The specfile should be in ~/rpmbuild/SPECS.

Put sylpheed-2.4.4.tar.bz2 in ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES.

Build binary and source rpms with

$ rpmbuild -ba ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/sylpheed.spec

Hopefully, that's at least a helpful start.  I'm not familiar with
sylpheed, so I don't know if there's anything particular to that
package that you'll need to know.

[1] Do this as a normal user, not as root.  You can use
rpmdev-setuptree, from the rpmdevtools package to setup the needed
directory structure and config options.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -- Mark Twain (1835-1910)