[OT] Mystery of chroot

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Jul 23 01:46:37 UTC 2007

On 2007/07/22 20:55 (GMT-0400) monty19@ hotmail.com apparently typed:

> So you admit you have no actual experience to counter his 'limited'
> experience...

Hardly. I've been unmucking others' doz messes for more than a decade.

> Do you really think that given adequate access (i.e. throw it up on the
> internet with no firewall) to a Linux system with known vulnerabilities
> this would not also be possible between the interval you install that
> system and manage to update it? What makes you believe then that Windows
> should magically behave any better.

Because the exploits and exploiters are focused en masse against the flaws
in doz, and encountered by real people using real doz puters far more often
than those using puters with Linux. I'm not discussing theoretical problems,
only the real world ones I and many others routinely encounter.

> The difference is that because you are not running Windows you will
> probably go just a bit longer than them before managing to infect your
> system with one form of malware or another, only because most malware
> written today is directed at the much larger number of Windows computers
> out there.

Not a bit longer. Lots lots longer, for many, maybe forever.

> Oh, and how does most of this start? User browses to website X and
> recieves popup Y that says you can get this absolutely nifty free
> program that installs super cool item Z (instant message icons, games,
> screensavers, and whatever crap), and Joe user thinks hey, what a great
> deal, and goes on and install it beginning the mess...

Exactly. Those messes are targeted at the flawed systems from the convicted
monopolist. Free doz software usually isn't really free, but most people
don't understand that.

> P.S. I believe the operating systems name is Windows, not 'doz';
> demeaning a product or making silly attacks against its name really are
> no way to make your case against the company.

It isn't silly. M$ hijacked a generic term for illegal marketing purposes. I
choose to reserve the generic term for its intended use, and refuse in
casual typing to waste effort giving undeserved respect to a convicted
felon. So, I use a nickname few have trouble understanding or empathizing with.

Nobody needs to make a case against the convicted felon. The only case yet
to be made is against lack of real punishment of the criminal and its body
parts.
--
"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,
rebuking, correcting, and training in righteoousness."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409