Sylpheed and Gmail

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Jul 23 02:57:41 UTC 2007

Whenever I pick up email from my gmail account with the latest version of
Sylpheed, I get this error:

QUOTE:
The SSL certificate of pop.gmail.com cannot be verified by the following reason:
  unable to get local issuer certificate
Server certificate:
  Subject: /C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google Inc./CN=pop.gmail.com
  Issuer: /C=US/O=Equifax/OU=Equifax Secure Certificate Authority
Do you accept this certificate?
END OF QUOTE

I say yes and that's all there is to it until the next time I load Sylpheed.
It remembers that I said yes as long as I don't exit the program.

I found this web page:

http://download.gna.org/hpr/fetchmail/FAQ/gmail-pop-howto.html

Based on that information, I think I am supposed to put the certificate
in /etc/pki/tls/certs because that is the only place I can find a .pem file
other than the /usr/share/gnupg directory on this computer.  (cert.pem exists
under /etc/pki/tls)

I installed openssh-perl to get the c_rehash program, then did this in
the /etc/pki/tls/certs directory:

wget -O Equifax_Secure_Certificate_Authority.pem \
https://www.geotrust.com/resources/root_certificates/certificates/Equifax_Secure_Certificate_Authority.cer
chmod 644 Equifax_Secure_Certificate_Authority.pem
c_rehash .

I ended up with  Equifax_Secure_Certificate_Authority.pem and a symbolic link
to it named 594f1775.0 in that directory.  Unfortunately, that still didn't
allow me to pick up my gmail without confirming the certificate as above so I
deleted the Equifax file and the symbolic link that I had just created.

Having read other pages mentioning a directory called ~/.sylpheed-2.0/certs I
then went into that directory and followed the above steps again.  And that did
the job.  Now there is no dialog when I pick up my gmail.

That solves my immediate problem.  However, my question is: why didn't that
work when I did it in /etc/pki/tls/certs? Is that the wrong place for this
stuff or are additional steps required that I'm not aware of?