Mystery of chroot

Phil Savoie psavoie1783 at rogers.com
Mon Jul 23 05:59:18 UTC 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007 01:26, David Boles wrote:
> on 7/22/2007 10:18 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > David Boles wrote:

> >> I am not sure Ed. What I had in my mind was the OS that runs on those
> >> really large cabinets in those really cold rooms. I have worked on
> >> those. The rooms and the A\C not the computers.
> >
> > Well, if you're not sure of what your definition is of "a true Unix OS"
> > then a challenge or question as to if a PC will run them kind of loses
> > its meaning.
> >
> > I venture to say that most folks would classify Solaris as a "true Unix
> > OS" and yes, they mostly ran on Sparc CPU server systems in rooms with
> > false floors and big A/C's.  And yes, in the early days, the workstation
> > varieties used Sparc CPU's and not your typical Intel or AMD processor.
> >
> > But, today Solaris runs just fine on Intel.  So, I would submit that as
> > an answer to your question.
>
> Like I said - I was thinking of main frame stuff on big cabinets in really
> cold rooms.
>
> I have never tried Solaris or Sparc. Are they considered what I described
> as 'a true Unix'? I was not even aware that they would run in x86 type
> equipment.
>
> I am *not* trying to be a smart *** here. I would like to know.

Here you go David:

[phil at opti-g1 ~] > ssh root at cic
Password:
Last login: Sun Jul 15 23:38:24 2007 from smurf.pszone1
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
[root at cic /] > psrinfo -v
Status of virtual processor 0 as of: 07/23/2007 01:52:19
  on-line since 07/10/2007 04:35:01.
  The i386 processor operates at 2010 MHz,
        and has an i387 compatible floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 1 as of: 07/23/2007 01:52:19
  on-line since 07/10/2007 04:35:06.
  The i386 processor operates at 2010 MHz,
        and has an i387 compatible floating point processor.
[root at cic /] > uname -a
SunOS cic 5.10 Generic_118855-33 i86pc i386 i86pc
[root at cic /] >

This is an amd dual core running Solaris 10 running on a Future Shop
Cicero "special".  So yes, Solaris does run on intel--and rather quickly too
I might add at least on tis machine.

Phil