Mystery of chroot

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jul 23 09:09:09 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:

>>> Yes, Solaris is Unix, and runs on x86 and lots of other architectures.
>>> As to the big machines in really cold rooms, most modern desktops have
>>> more power than the early Unix systems did.  In 1972 a 10Mb disk was
>>> huge.  I worked on a 40Mb disk which had air pumps, pnumatic pistons to
>>> drive the heads and ran at 3600 RPM with platters that were about 20" in
>>> diameter if I remember right.
>> Are you sure they were pneumatic?  When I worked on those types of disk
>> systems in the 70's they were hydraulic.
>

> I honestly have no idea what it is that you GEEKS are talking about here.

I'm talking about the Control Data 808 Disk.  The one I worked on was craned
in to a site on Wall Street in NYC.  When it was de-installed it was cut in
pieces with an acetylene torch and taken down the elevator.

> But a long, long time ago.
>
> I remember really large machines in really cold rooms with 'tapes' going
> back an forth.  ;-)  This was remodels. And a really long time ago.
>
> I really don't care these days. Bottom line is green works really well.
> Much better than red.  ;-)

Well, in those days the margin on hardware sales was *VERY* good.  So, the
green was flowing.  The salesman for our government services organization
owned his own airplane.....