Need help with F7 install--just to get the boot DVD to work

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Mon Jul 23 16:55:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Bob Chiodini wrote:

>> 1. My PC is 3 years old. Can it handle an ISO from DVD?
>> 2. I burnt it as a data disc, just like I did the FC5 disks. Why isn't the
>> OS loading from the DVD? AM I missing something?
>>
>> Second, let's assume that, for whatever reason, I can't use a DVD. What are
>> my options to boot from a CD?
>
> Gilbert,
>
> I had older machines that would boot from DVD.
>
> Is the image on the DVD a copy of the iso file or a file system.  What do you
> see when you open the DVD (windows or Linux), a single file or files and
> directories.  It should be the latter.  Sorry about not being very specific.
> I don't have a CD or DVD handy.

I can't get it to open. Heck, after I try it, the DVD drive locks up, and
I have to reboot the system just to get it out. Can I make a bootable ISO
under FC5 (sorry about the off-topic) onto a DVD, and if so, how?

> Also, is the PC set to boot from the CD/DVD before the local hard drive, in
> the BIOS?

Yes. It's the first boot device.

> Second:
>
> Burn a rescue CD, put a copy of the DVD iso in a directory (linux, like
> /home) you are not going to delete/format, do a "hard disk" install and point
> to that file when asked for the location.

Well, I intended to wipe out all of it and do  clean instal. Upgrading
from FC5 to FC7 sounds dangerous at best.