Fedora 7 freezes two or three times per day

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 23 17:42:44 UTC 2007

Dawning Sky wrote:
> On 7/22/07, Hansen <mht at alfansa.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 14:17 -0700, Dawning Sky wrote:
>> > I'm experiencing this freeze too.  I've disabled irqbalance, put
>> > "noirqbalance" in the kernel parameters, removed compiz.  But my F7
>> > system still freezes a few times a day.
>> >
>> > It appears related to the desktop environment.  I can leave it there
>> > for weeks, with server processes running.  But if I sit there and
>> > using the desktop environment, it then freezes frequently.  Nothing in
>> > the log files.
>> >
>> > I'm running F7 x86_64, with AMD X2 and the latest nVidia driver.  I've
>> > run memtest for hours without errors.  The kernel version is
>> > 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7.
>> >
>> > DS
>> I'm experience with this too but at very rare occurrence, but that
>> usually about X server that push CPU to almost 100% working. The machine
>> still available trough ssh and I must kill the X server and gdm bring
>> back again.
>> I think the freeze usually is about the kernel or X server. Maybe you
>> can try with nv driver for video and if still freeze you can check your
>> computer availability from network for searching who's the cause
>> freezing.
>
> What I'm experiencing is not just X server freeze.  It's something
> more serious.  I cannot ssh to it.  Cannot even ping it.  Have to do a
> hard reset.
>
> I think I'll have to try the nv driver to see if it is caused by the
> nvidia driver.
>

>> --
>> Hansen
>> http://hansen.alfansa.org
>> http://teknologipraktis.org
>> --
>
> DS

I am having the same issue and on the nvidia forum someone posted a
response that they compiled their kernel without CFS support and all was
fixed.

I think it is a bigger problem as I have issues with mplayer taking all
control from the keyboard or the latest issue is my display closing and
opening as if the frequency is being changed on the monitor.  this
occurs with just scrolling on web pages.

I wanted to try a new kernel (2.6.22) over the weekend but things just
happened that prevented me from doing it.

This is becoming a major headache as the nv driver won't allow my kids
to play games and is preventing me from updating the laptop from FC4 to F7.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.