Recommendations for MP3 tools

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Jul 24 00:28:21 UTC 2007

David Frascone wrote:
> I have a fairly large MP3 collection that I've ripped over the
> years.  My early rips do not have very good ID3 tags (some were
> ripped as mp3, converted to ogg, then re-converted to MP3 when MP3
> players became popular).

For those that you ripped and transcoded from mp3 to ogg and back, you
might as well re-rip them to get better quality.  And in the process
you can ensure that they are tagged properly. :)

> So, what I'm looking for is some software that will try to *guess*
> the track, using filename, directory name, any existing ID3
> information, look up things in cddb (freedb), fully populate the ID3
> tags, and, rename/move the file to the appropriate
> Artist/Album/Track.  I know these have to exist, but with the slew
> of rippers, etc out there, I've been unlucky with my searches (The
> gem I'm looking for seems to be lost in the noise)

I am sure there are many such tools.  Two that might fit the bill are
easytag and cowbell.  Both are in the Fedora repositories.  I've used
easytag off an on in the past.  I tried cowbell briefly a while back.

Damn you vile woman, you've impeded my work since the day I escaped
your vile womb!
    -- Stewie Griffin