mounting root filesystem issue ?

Graham Turner ipcomp1 at gotadsl.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 07:49:01 UTC 2007

Have spent a day or so attempting to fix a failed server by googling around, which as always is most informative, but with no success !

I think the initial issue was a power outage, causing the machine to shutdown in an unorderly manner. The installation was originally a RH9 installation, but my initial approach was to install FC6 using the upgrade method thinking the issue to be with some corrupt files, however the same boot issue remains.

the first indication of boot issues from the console are as follows;

trying to resume from /dev/hda3
no suspend signature on swap
creating  root device
mounting root filesystem
..

setting up new root filesystem
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
switching to new root and running init
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys

other subsequent boot issues then include;

mount -n -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb      -   segmentation fault
..
chmod: changing permissions of /var/log/wtmp'; read-only file system
etc

It seems from my limited experience in this area, the issue to be around the mounting of the root filesystem, or perhaps the issue is with 'no suspend signature' .

/etc/fstab as i learn is a key file. What i think to be the salient lines in it are;

/dev/hda2         /             ext3      defaults      1  1
LABEL=/boot   /boot     ext3      defaults      1  1
/dev/hda3         swap    swap

note that the first line was originally label=/   but i changed this on reading potential issues with labels (even though e2label reports corrected labels).

Similarly the boot command in grub.conf was changed so as to read;

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=/dev/hda2
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img

Apologies for the essay ! assistances in this will be most gladly received