mounting root filesystem issue ?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Jul 24 09:04:03 UTC 2007

> final state of boot is that it gets to the login prompt, where i can
> enter a login name but then does not ask for a password !

I guess this can be because your root filesystem is left mounted
read-only...

> on the way it stalls at 'starting system logger' which i would guess
> times out and proceeds

Hum

> usbfs seg faults when 'starting /udev' - if that answers your qu. correctly
>
> init scripts as i understand run

Right.

Well if it was me, knowing that I pushed my luck pretty hard attempting
a Redhat 9 --> FC6 upgrade, especially after the box was trashed
beforehand, I would ask myself if it will be quicker overall to thresh
around meddling trying to fix the problems, or to place a new HDD in the
box, clean install FC6 or F7 on to it, and then add the original HDD
back in and copy the important stuff on to the new drive, before
removing the old HDD and keeping as an archive.  Probably the answer to
that doesn't depend much on the complexity of what is on the old drive,
since you radically updated all the daemons anyway you will probably
have to go around fixing things up.

If you want to meddle on, press A at the grub menu and add the letter S
to the kernel commandline.  This might get you up in "single user mode"
allowing you to look around.  If that succeded, you might try

mount

to see if your / really is mounted read-only, then

mount /dev/hda2 / -oremount,rw

and see if that does succeed to remount it rw.

Also on the grub prompt, try adding

selinux=0

to see if that is causing troubles.

-Andy