[WAY WAY OT] Nvidia pissing contest

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Tue Jul 24 23:47:19 UTC 2007

Since this looks like piss on Nvidia day, I thought I'd join in.

First, let me say that I own 4 Nvidia cards (and an original Voodoo
card) and I'm about to buy another one (an 8xxx model). So I don't
hate Nvidia.

But I have no use for the closed source driver since I don't do 3D,
but I do want high-end video processing (and nobody beats Nvidia at
this). Of course, the free driver doesn't support TV out and I'm sure
it will never support an HDMI interface. So I'm stuck with the closed
source driver.

So how do we get a more light weight driver that does HD video without
the 3D junk? If the driver was open, I bet I could gut out the 3D parts.

While I'm at it, how about Nvidia using some of that brain power to
make something other than a 3D GPU! Maybe a general purpose GPU that
could offload X onto the video card (yeah I know, no market).

And Lonni, thanks for hanging out here, sorry you have to take so much
shit.

Regards,

John