F7 nvidia-96xx driver problem

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Tue Jul 24 23:53:55 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 22:11, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 7/24/07, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu> wrote:

> > > (WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (2, 1, 0x8000, 0x000003d4, 0x00000474)
> > > (II) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA X driver has encountered an error;
> > > attempting to (II) NVIDIA(0):     recover...
> > >
> > > Have you verified that you're using the latest motherboard BIOS?
> >
> > Well, no... I am still using the BIOS that came with the board, didn't
> > have the need to upgrade it. With FC4 the nVidia driver did work. I will
> > check on this, though.
> >
> > > Does setting NvAGP to 0 in xorg.conf help?
> >
> > I assume it should be put in as
> > Option "NvAGP" "0"
> > in the "Device" section? I did so, and it did not help. Though, the log
> > file now looks somewhat different. It says somewhere that AGP is switched
> > off by request, but the simptoms are still the same.
> >
> > Any other sugestions?
>
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device enabled on this X screen; not
> (II) NVIDIA(0):     allocating video overlay
>
> Does disabling the Composite extension help?
> Are you able to reduce the AGP rate in the BIOS?

I have flashed the BIOS to the latest stable version (from the ASUS website).
The option for AGP is fixed to 8x and I cannot change it. There are two other
options, though, "AGP Performance Control" and "AGP Fast Write Control" which
can be enabled or disabled. Enabling them does not allow me to change the AGP
rate. OTOH, they are disabled by default, so I left them disabled (I will try
to startx with them enabled also, just for the sake of completeness...).

I disabled the Composite extension by commenting it out. Still no go. The log
file is yet again different, due to that, I suppose.

Any hope for me?

Best, :-)
Marko

P.S. Btw, I really do appreciate your help and time invested. Thanks! :-)

Marko Vojinovic
Institute of Physics
University of Belgrade
e-mail: vmarko at phy.bg.ac.yu