F7 nvidia-96xx driver problem

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:10:14 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman writes:
>
> > Which is the point that I made the last time this came up a few weeks
> > ago.  OSS doesn't mean that the support is any better than closed
> > support.  The two gentlemen who seem to be the most vocally against
> > 'binary blob drivers' have no record that I can find in this list's
> > archives of ever providing anyone with actual fixes for drivers.  Nor
>
> How many problems do you see posted here about the free drivers, for which a
> fix is needed?

A fair share.

> All I see here is an endless stream of complaints about Nvidia's and ATI's
> non-free drivers. Problems with the other free drivers are a rarity. What
> does that tell you?

Nothing, because you're only seeing what you want to see.  This entire
discussion is a waste of my time because you're remembering the facts
that are convenient, forgetting what doesn't jive with your view oft
he world, and inventing the remainder to suit your argument.

> For my part -- since you seem to demand to see my credentials -- over the
> years I have logged of a handful of bugs in Bugzilla, concerning various
> bits and pieces regarding various video hardware, across an assortment
> Fedora beta releases, over many years. And, many of them eventually were
> resolved satisfactory. So I can confidently say that I've done my part -- as
> little as it might actually matter in the great scheme of things -- towards
> improving the state of free video drivers for Linux.

Its great that you're filing bugs, but that doesn't prove anything
about open drivers being superior.

> Furthermore, since I do have one laptop with an Nvidia chipset, the other
> day I did reconfigure X to load up Noveau, looked around, and left a few
> thoughts in X.org's Bugzilla. I'll try my best to provide useful feedback to
> Noveau's developers, and assist as much as I can. And if I do find myself
> with more free time than I do now, some hacking around is not entirely out
> of the question.
>
> As little as I can do, I will do when it comes to free video drivers. But
> there's nothing that I can do when it comes to the non-free drivers.

No, you chose to do nothing because it aligns with your viewpoints.
And that's fine, however attacking & mocking others because they are
using a 'binary blob driver' is both infantile & short sighted.

> > that "the community" can help is little more than talk, as I've rarely
> > seen any evidence that more than a very small number of people are
> > able to actually fix bugs in any one driver anywhere.
>
> It's not the raw number of people that can actually fix the code that
> matters. If you think that's the only metric that counts, you have a grave
> misunderstanding of the free software community.

And yours is one through rose colored glasses where everyone gets into
a circle, holding hands, and singing the praises of the almighty
Stallman.  I'll say it again very clearly, and with smaller words so
that you'll hopefully be able to follow:
Open source drivers do not have support that is any better than closed source.

For someone who claims to be a proponent of open source, you have an
unbelievably closed mind.