F7 nvidia-96xx driver problem

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:16:49 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:32:42 -0700
> Lonni J Friedman <netllama at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The two gentlemen who seem to be the most vocally against
> > 'binary blob drivers' have no record that I can find in this list's
> > archives of ever providing anyone with actual fixes for drivers.
>
> Are you referring to me?  If so, you either didn't look very hard or you were
> looking for the wrong thing.

If the shoe fits.

> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-March/msg00728.html

So you read an X log.  This might horrify you, but you can do the same
for *ALL* X drivers.  Open source doesn't have some monopoly on a
readable X log.  In fact, the nvidia driver tends to produce one of
the more readable, user friendly X logs.

Surely you're not claiming that being able to read an X log, or
generate a modeline is something that can only be done with open X
drivers?  Hopefully you're not that badly misinformed?

> I have had several requests for the information that I put into that posts in
> the past couple of months, both on this list and in other places that I frequent
> as well.  In fact, now that I think about it I believe I will pretty it up a bit
> and add it to my http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles webpage for others to
> use as needed, and has a handy place to point people to when this issue arises
> in the future.
>
> So if you were referring to me with the rather snarky statement that I quote
> here, you may now apologize and retract your remark.

You get points for having a sense of humor.

> For the benefit of others, once I get that webpage updated with the
> instructions for making a wide-screen monitor work with the Intel video
> chipset, I will post the url here in a separate message.

That's nice.  The nvidia X driver doesn't require that much effort to
do the right thing, and even in the small percentage of cases when it
does, the driver README already provides equivalent documentation.