Kernel panic after updating to 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 kernel

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jul 25 11:14:07 UTC 2007

Antti J. Huhtala wrote:

> Thanks again, Jim
>
> It just dawned on me that against all good advice on this list and
> elsewhere I decided to *upgrade* from FC6 to Fedora 7 instead of a fresh
> install. That's why I had some minor issues two months ago, such as my
> printer wasn't working and K3b didn't work either. Both problems were
> resolved by removing and reinstalling.

The k3b breakage happened to me with several upgrades. (All that I
recall). I have not tried printing on most of the upgraded systems but
for one system it seems to have no troubles that were not present before
the upgrade.

> If I'm not mistaken, there are some packages renamed '.rpmnew' in my
> system right now as a result of the upgrade. Guess I'll have to look
> into them and see if there's something explaining why the new kernel
> panics at boot. I also might consider a fresh install...

A lot of times with these files there is no difference except for dates
created. It still is worth comparing the files with the in place versions.

I don't know if a fresh installation would land you at the same state or
if the system would work with the latest kernel. A fresh install would
allow you to change some preferences like lvm or partitions along with
the new features which were introduced in Fedora 7 compared to earlier
Fedora snapshots. Upgrades should offer the new features via the
installer but currently do not offer a chance to add them on upgrade.

Jim

--
Jacquin's Postulate on Democratic Government:
	No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the