F 7 question: How do I get a kernel-smp for it?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 04:25:04 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu>
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:07:13 PM
Subject: F 7 question: How do I get a kernel-smp for it?

Hello all,

OK, so I have it running now...and all is well. Except I notice that
the default kernel can't handle multiple processes, and one that can
hasn't been installed. "No problem!", I think, and I type:

yum install kernel-smp

Bzzzt. That didn't work. OK, what changed since FC5 such that this doesn't
work anymore? And what is the correct command?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

----- End of Original Message ----

Gilbert,

    I believe that there is no more SMP kernel, the regular kernel handles SMP operations the same.  Just run
# yum install kernel

When I do a uname -a, there is an SMP and I do not have dual core
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 #1 SMP Tue Jul 17 17:13:26 EDT 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

If I had one, there probably be a #2 before the SMP here, If I am terribly wrong, someone please correct me.

Regards,

Antonio