F 7 question: How do I get a kernel-smp for it?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 18:53:27 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----

>> Gilbert,
>>
>>     I believe that there is no more SMP kernel, the regular kernel handles SMP operations the same.  Just run
>> # yum install kernel
>>
>> When I do a uname -a, there is an SMP and I do not have dual core
>> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 #1 SMP Tue Jul 17 17:13:26 EDT 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>>
>> If I had one, there probably be a #2 before the SMP here, If I am terribly wrong, someone please correct me.
>
> The "#1" comes from the .version file from the kernel source tree and
> has nothing to do with how many processors (physical and core) you
> have.  .version is updated each time you do a "make", so if you've
> rebuilt the kernel from source twice, you'll see a "#2" in the output.
>
> You can see how many CPUs you have by "cat /proc/cpuinfo".  And you're
> right, there is no split between UP and SMP kernels...one size fits
> all (well, mostly).

> - Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
> -     Squawk!  Pieces of Seven!  Pieces of Seven!  Parity Error!     -
>
> --

Thanks Rick for the clarification
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

returns the number of CPU's.  I have a Pentium 4 machine with hyperthreading.  It has one CPU only, but gkrellm shows CPU0 and CPU1, but that is another thing.

Regards,

Antonio

Linux Counter # 381662
http://counter.li.org

Home Page(s)
http://www20.brinkster.com/olivares/
http://www.geocities.com/olivares14031/

[olivares at localhost ~]$ echo $(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)
20070726135029
[olivares at localhost ~]$ uname -iprm
2.6.22.1-27.fc7 i686 athlon i386
[olivares at localhost ~]$