Command line mail via Lotus Domino

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 23:49:38 UTC 2007

I have a set of reporting scripts that run as cron jobs on all my
servers (a hodge-podge mix of several versions of Fedora & RHEL). These
scripts collect performance related data & other information that goes
into a report that I have to maintain. As of now, I manually collect the
data from these servers every morning. I wanted to modify the current
setup to mail the information to me. The problem here is that sendmail
is not allowed in the environment and the only mail server is a Lotus
Domino server.

My initial problem was how to send an automated mail from the command
line to an external server. mail/mailx didn't quite do it for me. Google
told me of a perl script called sendEmail[1] which does the job for me.

The problem is that it doesn't work with Lotus Domino. There exists a
Java program[2] from IBM that can achieve this but I would prefer not to
futz around with Java.

Has anybody managed to send automated emails in a similar environment?
Any pointers would be great.

[1] http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/
[2] http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/NotesCliEmail

--