Mplayer problem FC7

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jul 27 02:33:32 UTC 2007

david walcroft wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 10:24 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
>>
>>> I cannot run a dvd through mplayer it errors out with :-
>>>
>>> mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/hdc
>>>
>>> Playing dvd://1.
>>> libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
>>> libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
>>> Can't open VMG info!
>>> File not found: '1'
>>> Failed to open dvd://1.
>>>

>>> Exiting... (End of file)
>>
>> Try changing /dev/hdc to /dev/dvd.  If your system has automatically set
>> up a device for your DVD drive, that ought to be it.  If not, you might
>> want to try /dev/sdc, instead (FC7 treats IDE as if it were SCSI, now).
>>

> Tim, I've tried changing to /dev/sd0 but as you see it did not work.
>

> laying dvd://1.
> libdvdread: Can't stat /dev/sdc
> No such file or directory
> Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/sdc
> File not found: '1'
> Failed to open dvd://1.
>
> Thanks  david

I would expect the drive to be /dev/scd0 instead of /dev/sdc. At
least I would expect it to be treated as a SCSI CD drive, and not a
SCSI hard drive. I think you will also find that SCSI hard drive are
assigned letters sequentially, so you will find that /dev/sdc does
not always map to the old /dev/hdc.

Mikkel