Print problems FC7

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Fri Jul 27 03:41:44 UTC 2007

david walcroft wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 10:10 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
>>
>>> Since updates yesterday including the latest kernel my printer is
>>> off line,I have tried the following without success
>>>
>>> [david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo /usr/share/hplip/setup
>>>
>>> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.7.4a)
>>> Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 4.5
>>>
>>> Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
>>> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
>>> This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
>>> under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
>>>
>>> error: hplip-gui not installed.  GUI not available. Exiting.
>>> error: PyQt init failed. Reverting to interactive mode.
>>> error: No devices found.
>>> error: Error occured during interactive mode. Exiting.
>>>
>>> [david at reddwarf ~]$ /usr/share/hplip/probe
>>>
>>> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.7.4a)
>>> Printer Discovery Utility ver. 3.2
>>>
>>> Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
>>> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
>>> This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
>>> under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
>>>
>>> warning: No devices found on the 'usb' bus. If this isn't the result
>>> you are expecting,
>>> warning: check to make sure your devices are properly connected and
>>> powered on.
>>>
>>> Restarting "service hplip restart" worked but 'print screen' gives
>>> me nothing.
>>>
>>>  What do I need to do now please
>>> does the
>>>  Thanks   david
>>>

>> I need an explanation of off-line. What does the cups web pages say
>> about the printer? Does it indicate that you can start the printer? If
>> it does then start the printer. That worked for me.
>> --
>> May those that love us love us; and those that don't love us, may God
>> turn their hearts; and if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn
>> their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.
>> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net
>>

> Aaron this from cups web page' $ /sbin/lsusb
> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0409:0059 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 03f0:3611 Hewlett-Packard
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> *Printer State:* stopped, accepting jobs, published
>
> By off-line I mean the printer is not recieving any jobs
>
> Thanks   david

As Aaron said, start the printer from the CUPS page. The printer state
should be "idle,accepting jobs, published".

I am puzzled by the fact that /sbin/lsusb could not be found, however.
You shouldn't need to sudo to run that command. It does not require root
permissions.

I have an HP2410 attached to my F7 system and I'm seeing the following:

$ /sbin/lsusb
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0409:0059 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 03f0:3611 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Is it possible that the problem is with the USB subsystem(s) ?

If you do
    rpm -qa | grep usb
does the usbutils package show up? Any others?  This may be drawing you
away from the printer problem, but I was drawn to the error message that
said "No devices found on the 'usb' bus."   I'm approaching my limit of
analysis capability here.  Hopefully someone else can help enlighten
both of us.

~~R