AP: Hungary Officials Raid Microsoft Office

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jul 27 18:01:08 UTC 2007

Hi Mike -

>> Running Fedora is a political choice that has ramifications.  Microsoft
>
> Bah. I run Fedora for my own reasons, none of which is political.
> Any choice has consequences, both positive and negative.

Because it violates the interests of powerful people, who operate in the
legal or politcal domains, it is political.

>> - specifically - hate the fact you choose to run Free software and want
>> to take control of that possibility.  If Microsoft succeed in their
>
> "Microsoft" is not an entity. It is a corporation, made up of people.
> I am sure that most/all of the employees of Microsoft neither know nor
> care what OS I have on my machine.

That's certainly the case.  However, "Microsoft" acts as a single legal
entity.  "Microsoft" signs contracts and makes agreements: there is a
single guiding hand.  With Linspire for example from this Gartner article:

''Here is the gist of what Microsoft has to offer to those willing to
come clean; Under the PR guise of a “Covenant to Customers” at least 3
Linux publishers have climbed on board. Essentially, if any of the
GPL/GNU concepts are touched on, the “Covenant” is violated. With the
exception of patches, any other modification or alteration of the code
is not allowed, nor is it okay to make copies of the software to give
away to your friends - unless of course, additional fees are paid to
Microsoft. Remember, we are talking about Linux - not Microsoft
products. Microsoft excludes a number of things from this EULA for
LINUX, including anything released under GPL3 because of the clause
(section 10 paragraph 3 GPL3) expressly forbidding the imposition of
restrictions or fees on anything released under GPL3 ... The Covenant to
the Customer promises that you - the consumer - won’t be sued so long as
you use an extremely narrow set of programs distributed by Linspire.
Business applications and servers are explicitly excluded from the
“allowed” programs list.''

http://rackit.gartnerwebdev.com/2007/07/23/linspire-punked-by-microsoft/

So this is Microsoft's official corporate view of Linux: you cannot
legally use any "business applications" or "servers", you cannot use any
GPL3 stuff, and you can only use packages with patches from Novell,
Xandros and Linspire.  Here they say it in their own words:

http://www.microsoft.com/interop/collab/linspire/customer_covenant.mspx

...where you learn even that is only for 3 years unless they extend it.

>> reason I will occasionally post about events concerning Microsoft that I
>> consider important whether you like it or not.
>
> It's unfortunate that so many of these exchanges degenerate into
> this sort of fencing.

What do you think should happen, I clear my posts through two Joe
Randoms first?  Do you?

-Andy