suspend/resume: close to depression

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 28 13:38:53 UTC 2007

Hi Michel,

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 14:30 +0200, Michel Van den Bergh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I own a Dell D505 laptop which has been suspending/resuming nicely since
> FC4 (and with
> some quirks in FC3). After a harddisk crash I just installed F7 and to
> my incredible disbelief S/R
> functionality has stopped working (the system wakes up but the screen
> remains blank). After wasting
> a morning trying out "quirks" I am now reinstalling FC6.

Same here. I have been trying to figure out why my Acer TM6460
suspended/resumed fine on FC6 and fails miserably on up-to-date F7. So
far I have figured out that it needs to suspend with:
# pm-suspend --quirk-s3-mode

I have seen the blank screen thingy before. This webpage has quite good
tips how to go about fixing it:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-index.html

On an Acer Ferrari 4005 with FC6 it was solved by unloading/blacklisting
pretty much every module. Unfortunately that trick does not seem to work
(so far) on my Acer TM6460.

This page has some good tips how to analyze the possible culprit:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-advanced.html

> What is it with Fedora (or Linux?) that causes major things to break
> with every os upgrade?

Dunno but with the fast & furious pace of kernel development regressions
are almost inevitable. That's ok as long as they get fixed at the same
pace.

> I understand that it is difficult to support very new hardware but this
> laptop is three years old and was
> perfectly supported up to now.

Yup, same here although my laptop is a bit newer.

> I am a believer in Linux/OSS and will continue to use it no matter what.
> However for most casual users
> this is enough to turn them away from Linux forever.

I don't really see grandpa messing with unloading modules and pm-utils
quirks until he gets suspend/resume working. But if we can all submit
the information that made it work on our laptop than we can hopefully
make sure that grandpa gets a working setup out of the box with F8:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-report.html

Regards,
Patrick