Transferring entire OS to another drive

Jorge Boscan joretur at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 15:13:27 UTC 2007

Hi Eric

Well, you ca do it many ways as you pointed out, dd is an option, to
copy all, as well
you must care about partitions order, fs type, in the end 3 files must
be correct

/etc/fstab
/boot/initrd.img
/boot/grub/grub.conf

the other thing to consider is grub you must install the boot loader
in the new drive

so what I would do is:

plug & mount the new-drive

create & format partitions (gparted)

copy all to the new partitions

chroot to the new-drive / filesystem

if nessesary edit fstab

run grub-install

and if after all, the new drive doesnt boot because boot loader
problems, you can boot with
a live-cd chroot and fix.

I hope I helped.

On 7/28/07, Eric <spamsink at scoot.netis.com> wrote:

> What is the latest, best way to "mirror" a Linux installation to another
> drive (as a backup, or to move the installation to a larger drive)?
>
> I do it fairly regularly (every 4 to 6 months or so) on my Windows XP
> laptop, using PowerQuest Drive Image, and usually upgrade to whatever the
> new maximum available size is for laptop drives (currently up to 120 GB,
> started at 60), and it always works well.
>
> Anyone know of the newest versions of things like Drive Image will work
> with Linux partitions?
>
> I more or less know about the older ways to do it, using dd and (something,
> don't remember what) to recreate the boot sector on the new drive, but I
> have never been able to get that to work very well and anyway, it seems not
> to work for moving a Linux installation to a larger drive, only seems to
> work when source and destination drives are the same size and geometry.
>
> I guess I don't mind connecting origin and destination drives to a Windows
> box and use some Windows tool like Drive Image, if that is what I really
> and truly have to do.
>
> --

[Jorge J. Boscán Etura]
quando omni flunkus moritatus