is there something unreliable about "showmount -e"?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Jul 28 16:43:30 UTC 2007

On 2007/07/28 06:08 (GMT-0400) Robert P. J. Day apparently typed:

>   just yesterday, i was demonstrating NFS to a class of people running
> F7 on their laptops, and i set up a simple NFS export on one system,
> and asked everyone else to run "showmount -e" against that server.

>   only one system in the class got output from showmount, although
> everyone could ping the server properly.  i found this just a bit
> odd, and spent a few minutes trying to figure out what was happening,
> to no avail.

I ran into this maybe a day or two ago. One of the systems was a fresh
install, and its hosts.allow and hosts.deny were both functionally empty.
After putting my usual portmap entries in them and restarting nfs the problem
went away.
--
"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,
rebuking, correcting, and training in righteoousness."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409