blank DVDs are not mounted on FC6

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 28 20:28:04 UTC 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007, Globe Trotter wrote:
> [...]
> Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c	1.83 04/05/20
> Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
>SCSI buffer size: 64512
>cdrecord: Cannot load media with this drive!
>cdrecord: Try to load media by hand.
>Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
> Schilling Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD
> support Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the
> original. Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
>http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
>Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
>version.
>TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
>Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
>Driveropts: 'burnfree'
>atapi: 1
>Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
>Version        : 0
>Response Format: 2
>Capabilities   :
>Vendor_info    : 'SAMSUNG '
>Identifikation : 'CDRW/DVD SN-324B'
>Revision       : 'U101'
>Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
>Current: 0x0000
>Profile: 0x0010
>Profile: 0x0008
>Profile: 0x0009
>Profile: 0x000A
>Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
>Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
>Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96R
>Drive buf size : 1353728 = 1322 KB
>FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
>cdrecord: Cannot load media with this drive!
>cdrecord: Try to load media by hand.
>cdrecord: Cannot load media.
>pregap1: -1
>Track 01: data  4293 MB         padsize:   30 KB
>Total size:     4930 MB (488:28.24) = 2198118 sectors
>Lout start:     4930 MB (488:30/18) = 2198118 sectors
>
>--- Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 21:51 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
>> > How do I get to write to a DVD. I put in a blank DVD and I don't get
>>
>> anything.
>>
>> > Mount volume says no media, and I cant figure out how to proceed since
>>
>> nothing
>>
>> > works.
>>
>> You can use any of several different programs for writing to discs, they
>> work in different ways, but a basic premise is to assemble a collection
>> of files to be written, then do the writing.
>>
>> You can even do this from within Nautilus.  "Go" to the "CD/DVD
>> Creator" (look in the "Go" menu).  There's a spot for assembling your
>> files for burning, you can make directories, too.  You can copy and
>> paste, or drag and drop, into it.
>>
>> If you want to do something more complex, I'd suggest using a program
>> designed for burning.  e.g. Gnome baker, XCD Roast, K3B, and lots more.
>>
>> --
>> [tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
>> 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 i686 i386
>>
>> Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5.  Today, it's FC7.

Known problem.  Unknown is why the hell it persists, release after release
when the fix is so simple.  The memory per process limit imposed is to fix a
runaway process so it can't take the machine clear down.  That's very rare,
and you will normally get a pretty good trace pointing fingers at the guilty
item so IT can be reported and hopefully fixed ASAP.  Unforch, the default
buffer size k3b asks for exceeds this limit by about 50 times.  While
burning, it uses a considerable amount of memory for the write cache.

The fix?  Put this line in at the bottom of the file in your ~/.bashrc

ulimit -l unlimited

End of problem.