updatedb error

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jul 28 23:58:28 UTC 2007

Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Peter Reed wrote:
>>> It seems that I am also having the same problem. I ran updatedb in
>>> verbose mode and the error comes with the same folder everytime. A
>>> listing of the folder gives strange output. Output from my terminal
>>> below.
>>>
>>>   /sys/module/nousb/parameters
>>>   updatedb: src/updatedb.c:721: scan_cwd: Assertion `name_size > 1'
>>> failed.
>>>   Aborted
>>>   [root at marvin parameters]# file /sys/module/nousb/parameters
>>>   /sys/module/nousb/parameters: directory
>>>   [root at marvin parameters]# cd /sys/module/nousb/parameters
>>>   [root at marvin parameters]# ls -l
>>>   ls: cannot access : No such file or directory
>>>   total 0
>>>   -????????? ? ? ? ?                ?
>>>   [root at marvin parameters]#
>>>
>>> I tried rpm -qf to determine which package creates the folder but it
>>> says that the file is not owned by the package.
>>>
>>> Can you run updatedb -v and check if the result is similar/identical?
>>>
>> Yes this is the same place my run of updatedb is exiting.  Same error
>> as you with the same directory. Peter
>
> Can anybody else on the list verify this? What I would like to know is
> the contents of the directory. Listing the directory gives me strange
> output.

The /sys file system is not a real file system - it is created as
part of udev, and contains information about hardware and drivers on
the running system. updatedb should not be checking this tree at
all. I wounder if /sys should be added to the PRUNEPATHS list in
/etc/updatedb.conf - that way the directory would be skipped.

Mikkel