JibJab - no sound - wrong sound card.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Sun Jul 29 06:43:47 UTC 2007

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:18:54 -0600
> Reg Clemens <reg at dwf.com> wrote:
>
> > OK, this was working but it has stopped.
> >
> > For a long time videos on CNN had never worked.
> > Then, several weeks ago they started working.
> > And then several weeks more and the AUDIO stopped but the video was
> > fine.
> >
> > For some reason, today I decided to go to jibjab, and lo, the same
> > behaviour. I see the video, but no audio.  Now this has ALWAYS worked.
> >
> > And my suspision is that I have a built in sound card (intel) on the
> > motherboard,
> > and add on sound card (sound blaster) and the jibjab (and probably
> > the CNN) are connecting to the WRONG ONE (the intel).
> >
> > Changing the connection to the other output, and lo I have audio.
> >
> > So how do I tell the world which is the default sound card?
> > Or how do I tell individual programs what is the default sound card?
> > I dont see anything in jibjab nor in the netscape that it is running
> > in Mumph.
> > Grump.
> You need to add something like the following to your /etc/modprobe.conf
> file.
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
> options snd-usb-audio index=1
>
> This is telling the kernel to place the sound cards in specific order.
> You will have to change the sound cards above to reflect yours.  The 0
> card is the default.

OK, I canwill add what you suggest:

alias snd-card-0 snd-ca0106
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-ca0106 index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-hda-intel index=1

here is what is already there, should I modify it in any way
(or delete parts of it?)

options snd cards_limit=8
alias snd-card-0 None
options None index=0