computer name on a LAN

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sun Jul 29 08:56:48 UTC 2007

> Aaron:
>> I am not sure what you are doing ...
>
> Trying to learn rsync. To that end, I delved into rcp. I'm trying to
> config things so that I can do something like 'rcp <file> <name of other
> machine>:'.

It seems rsync will be a lot easier to learn and use than rcp... you
just need a working sshd on the other machine with port 22 open.  Then

rsync -av /path/on/local/box user at remoteip:/path/on/remote/box

is all you need to copy the local contents of /path/on/local/box to
/path/on/remote/box on the other machine.  As a side issue, if it
happens that some of the files are already there, they won't get sent
again, speeding things up.

Eg,

rsync -av /home/fred root at 192.168.0.10:/backups/fred

AFAIK rcp bulk transfer is not encrypted, whereas with rsync-over-ssh it
will be.

-Andy