Killed /home installing Fedora 7 with Ubuntu

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 02:18:22 UTC 2007

> That was a scary lesson that I learned tonight. I'm burning a backup
> now, and I'll be learning rsync tonight...

This is an rsync command that my wife and I both use on our laptops
everytime we get home to our local network.

/usr/bin/rsync -e ssh -avzp --exclude "/home/eagle1/.ssh" --delete
/home/eagle1 / /ns2.local.net:/prtdata/

This command will be all on one line and it will delete files that do
not exist on the local machine, that is if I delete a file from my
local machine and then do the backup is will be deleted from the
backup server.

I do this as a backup of my live file system, every other night I run
mondo rescue and alternate through about a two week span on the old
father, grandfather, great grandfather routine of backing up.

Also, the command above was setup to work on a password less ssh
login, but if you have not set that up it will merely ask for the
users password on the server.

I am glad that the partition was just not mounted, but for future
reference, everything I have read about the ext3 files system states
that once deleted you cannot recover a file.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at