new defaults install of f7, ff crashes gnome?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Jul 30 08:15:10 UTC 2007

> uneventful defaults install, nvidia 5200 card was auto-recognized,
> installed, recognized my Sun/Sony 21" monitor, OK
> nothing of note in logs, but starting ff2.0.0.5 causes gnome to
> crash, it restarts, shows me a bugzilla report, I send.  I don't
> think it's crashing X because it drops back to graphical logon
> screen, looks just like the one after boot.

That is what killing X looks like, a new X server is started
automatically and it wants you to log in.

>>From time to time it works, like now.
>
> googled around some, went thru 30 pages of topics on this forum, not
> finding much.
>
> Also, the back and forward buttons won't work on my mouse, 2
> different mice, both logitec, 1 ps2, 1 usb.
>
> Do I need to install the (gasp) proprietary Nvidia driver?  I
> normally don't do closed stuff at all, but this is approaching
> unusability.
>
> TIA for any ideas, scornful comments, cheap shots, etc.

Next time it blows chunks on you, have a look at

less /var/lox/Xorg.0.log

towards the end and see if there is any (EE) type stuff or backtrace.

Also, what driver did it put in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?  If it was the
nouveau one, try swapping it for the nv one.

-Andy