upgrading from FC6 to Fedora 7 problems

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 30 22:20:53 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 18:43 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> why are upgrades not possible with the installer while booted into a
>> working system?
>
> You couldn't do that as an in-place update/replacement, because you'd be
> replacing the ladder that you're standing on.  It should be possible,
> however, as a secondary installation to another location.

There is an additional complexity from fc6 -> f7: the way disks are
accessed in the newer is via /dev/sdX whereas the old would be /dev/hdX
for parallel IDE disks. I imagine that the kernel in the installer also
provides a good check as to whether the machine can actually boot such a
kernel. There is good information available eg:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistributionUpgrades
and YumUpgradeFaq