SMB Permissions

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Tue Jul 31 13:56:03 UTC 2007

I have been running samba for some time, but I can't seem to get permissions
right for the following:

My file server has two users, me and my wife.  I'd like to make 3 shares,
plus a home directory:

/media (rw to me and my wife, ro for guests)
/public (rw to me and my wife, ro for guests)
/private (rw to me and my wife, no other access)

And, normal (rw) to owners of /home/USER.

However, I run into tons of permissions problems when I create a file, and
she reads it, and vice versa.

So, the actual questions:

1) How do I implement a "guest" account?  Make a third account?
2) Is there any way to have both accounts (mine and my wife) create files
with permissions 777 when we write to shared space, but normal permissions
(700) when we write to our home directories?

Guess that's about it.  Thanks in advance,

-Dave

--
David Frascone

Diplomacy is saying "nice doggy" until you find a rock.