Sort files by filename

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 19:01:11 UTC 2007

Mark Haney wrote:

>>> I think this would probably work except I really need to know which ones
>>> are out of sequence as is, changing the filename would eliminate that
>>> capability and the missing files are the ones I need.  See, I'm
>>> receiving the files from a separate server and they are sent to me in
>>> this format.  I need to know which ones I /don't/ receive so I know
>>> which ones I need to have resent.  Make sense?
>>>

>> Is there a reason why rsync cannot be used for this?
>
> Unfortunately, yes, due to the method that I receive the files, ie from
> another application that has it's own mechanism to feed the files to
> client machines.  I really wish this wasn't the case, but I have to live
> with what I got.

If you request the resends with http you could use wget with the option
to only transfer if the server's copy is newer than yours, and just ask
for all of them every time.

Or, if you can construct the (sorted)list of all the names you expect to
have you can:

ls * | comm -13 - /path/to/list

and get the list of names in the list but not in the directory.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com