Why Fedora needs so much RAM?

Andreas Bernauer fedora at lysium.de
Fri Jun 1 07:47:33 UTC 2007

frank wang wrote on Thu, May 31 2007 at 22:14 (-0700):
> Hi,
>
> I tried to run live CD of fedora 7. In the boot up menu, one item is
> run from RAM. It requires 1GB+ memory. I wondered why fedora 7 takes
> so much memory. Recently, I am looking for a linux that requires less
> memory. Supprisingly, Puppy2 and Damn Small Linux can run linux from
> RAM with 128 MB and 48 MB ram.

As someone else already mentioned on this list, fedora does not "require"
that much RAM, but uses the RAM that is available to do the best out of
it, eg. use it as a disk cache (which, btw, is a good thing to do
when you use fedora from CD).

Isn't it better to use all the available RAM to enhance your user experience
instead of just letting it lying around unused?

You can check yourself by using the 'free' command and checking the 'cached'
column.

Andreas.

--
http://www.lysium.de/blog