bittorrent speed way too low, what possible causes?

stan stanl at cox.net
Fri Jun 1 21:03:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:47:25 -0700
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)" <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I'm a Cox.net customer too. I'm beginning to think that not only are
> they throttling BitTorrent downloads, but that they are throttling
> any downloads of .iso files, period (if that's possible).  BitTorrent
> has been so slow that I gave up a few times and tried downloading
> from various mirrors all over the planet and the result was the same.
>
> In fact, as long as I'm downloading iso files (via BitTorrent, ftp,
> or http) I'm timing out on anything on the Internet (Email, Usenet,
> you name it).
>
> I've never had this problem with Cox before. It must be a new thing.
>
> To say it has me very unhappy is an understatement.

Yeah, I'm not too pleased myself.  I've got an email in to them and
depending on what comes of it, I'll probably send something to the
Corporate Commission.  I checked their use policy and it says they
don't forbid peer to peer and it doesn't say anything about limiting
bandwidth on any given connection.  They do have limits on monthly
uploads and downloads.

I guess they like to market the speeds but not provide them in
actuality.  You can upload at these speeds that you're paying for as
long as you don't upload.  Maybe they'll give me a monthly discount for
slow upload.
Right! :-).

The power company is in the process of installing high speed internet
over the powerlines.  I've heard 100 Mbit per second.  Years away, but
it is coming.  The worm will turn.