problem with sound on my father's computer

Jay Goodman fedora-list at goody.homelinux.net
Sat Jun 2 01:57:13 UTC 2007

Ah.  I think there is a little gem of a bug in esd or alsa causing a these
gnome startup freezes with certain soundcards.

I've got a nvidia MPC51 and I've got the problem too. I suspect many
others have it.  It didn't effect me in FC6.

Here's a workaround for the time being.

When gnome 'locks' at startup
1) press CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a console.
2) log into the console and kill the esound server "kill $(pidof esd)"
3) switch back to X/gnome with CTRL-ALT-F7
4) Startup should be continuing as normal
5) goto System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound
6) Choose the "sounds" tab and turn off "enable software sound mixing(ESD)"

This should get you going without gnome sounds for the time being until
there is a fix or a workaround.  I'm looking for a work around and I'll
post back if I can find one.