Another stellar release from the Fedora project

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jun 2 03:48:58 UTC 2007

Roo wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:36:52 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
>
>> Roo wrote:
>>> Working FC6 installation... I use upgrade DVD
>>>
>>> 1. Complains that my dos partition can't be mounted. Ignore it.
>>>
>>> 2. Complains that it cannot find swap space... offers to reboot.
>>> Reboot... same problem. I remove any reference to swap in /etc/fstab...
>>> and it seems to work after rebooting
>>>
>> HUGE red flag here.  Your fstab is invalid and you wish to continue?? This
>> is madness.  You will surely need to do a wipe and install.
>
> My fstab is NOT invalid. You did read the bit about it being perfectly
> functional on FC6? Clearly not.

Roo, you may have luck using yum localupdate *.rpm from the mounted DVD.
(At the commandline and in the directory with the rpms. Do not attempt
this from within the GUI. I have not had success yet but am getting some
progress at a fair rate.

I hope the localupdate option only updates what is already installed
unless newer deps are needed. I would hate to have an "Everything
install" with all the languages, programs that I cannot stand such as
gnome-screensaver and the file-search program.

> Please try reading posts before you start lecturing on subjects you know
> little about.

Everybody reads into postings without considering someone is complaining
about something that should work without a lot of problems. Some seem to
be having no trouble. I am with this Dell Desktop with two IDE disks.

Jim