Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 2 04:29:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 14:18 -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> DVD drives are $25.  DVD writers are $37.  Is it really worth the
> hassle of having a dvd-less computer?

Maybe for you, but not for everyone.  Here, about the only drives you
can buy from a shop are DVD writers, for about $90, other options are
ex-stock, or second-hand *JUNK* (and I really mean "junk").  I nearly
always end up having to pull apart other PCs to do updates, here.
Either swapping DVD drives, or moving a hard drive around with files on
it.

Last time, though, for FC6, the thing flatly refused to install from a
hard drive or the network.  And that was on a system with a master hard
drive, slave CD-ROM, and another master hard drive with the images.  No
amount of re-organising or re-configuring would get it to see the files
that I could access through the command line.  I had to resort to
ripping a DVD out of another box that I really didn't want to shut down
at the time.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.