F7 - the mystery of rsync installation

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jun 2 14:49:15 UTC 2007

How exactly is one meant to use the rsync facility
offered by several of the mirrors?
I tried clicking on "rsync" (as opposed to "http" or "ftp")
on a couple of mirrors in the list,
and was told in both cases that the protocol was not supported.

I have rsync installed on the machine in question,
and in fact use it all the time.

Actually, I found it was not in fact necessary,
as when I killed my download after it had been stalled for 9 hours,
and started again from a different mirror,
I was asked if I wanted to resume or start again,
and when I opted to resume it seemed to work fine.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366