Tired of making coasters

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Jun 2 15:31:09 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> David G. Miller wrote:
>> > I'll change my comment somewhat since going over what will fit on a CD
>> > seems to be intentional.  This is still silly if not downright wrong.
>> > There are a lot more systems "out there" that only have a CD drive and
>> > no DVD drive.
>>

> Those systems can't use just x86 images or handle a network installation
> either?
>
> Rahul
IMHO, the whole idea of going through the effort to create a live image
is so that people can try it without doing a full install.  Yes, those
people with newer systems or who have installed a DVD drive and have a
boatload of RAM can play with FC^h7 from the live DVD.

I like the idea that someone with an aging XP box can throw a live CD in
and try Fedora.  They are faced with the alternative of buying a new
system that will support Vista so the "sales pitch" of trying Fedora
from a live CD would probably be really attractive (they can try it,
they don't lose any data, they can readily "go back", etc.).  The same
person is very unlikely to want to invest in a DVD player and more RAM
since Vista's intrusive DRM means the upgrades still wouldn't give them
a suitable Vista platform (see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6407419.stm).

Cheers,
Dave