Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 19:19:38 UTC 2007

Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> having some systems without DVD drive, but with CD drive.
> Is there a place from where I can download some CD isos instead of one
> DVD iso for F7?
>
> Regards

How about this:
1. Download boot.iso from Fedora 7 mirrors (e.g. from
ftp://ftp.muug.mb.ca/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/images/)
2. Burn that to a CD (makes a bootable CD).
3. Download the Fedora 7 DVD iso (best is done from torrents) and put it
on a partition in your disk which will not be overwritten during
installation.
4. Boot from the boot disk and start installation by telling the
installer to install from the ISO image that is on your hard disk.

I am going to try it out in a day or two when I get some time
(downloading the DVD iso at present).

This way you never need to actually burn the data to any media, except
to make a bootable CD, which can be avoided by making a bootable USB
stick using diskboot.img instead
(http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-which-files.html).

->HS