Somewhat OT: BItTorrent Documentation

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Sat Jun 2 23:50:28 UTC 2007

At 07:16 PM 6/2/2007, Charles Curley wrote:

<CC>>>>>Take a look at aria (in extras). You can run it in a "screen"
session ("yum info screen" for details).<<<<<

Good afternoon, Charles.

OK, I'll try that.

However, I can't do anything that requires an X session.  So, if aria
(whatever that is) is an X-Windows program, I won't be able to run it.  I
can run X applications remotely but it takes forever, and occasionally
seems to cause my server to misbehave on other undefined ways (such as it
did this morning while trying to run ktorrent).  I don't want that to
happen while I'm 1000 miles away and can't visit the co-location site to
fix or reboot it.  So, today I decided to restrict myself to console-mode
text-mode applications until I get back.

To Kam Leo ... thanks for the pointers to the FAQ site.  I have read
through it and there was some helpful information, but not a lot... the
bulk of the content seems to assume a level of knowledge that's a lot
higher than I have.

Let me clarify exactly what I want to do.  Using ktorrent, I can download
the files in a torrent and, while and after downloading, ktorrent makes
those files available to others according to the upload limits I have
established.  I don't need to do anything in the way of configuration other
than changing a few variables in the ktorrent setup.  Thereafter, whenever
I start ktorrent, it will make the downloaded torrents available to others
without any further intervention from me.

That's what I'd like to be able to do with the text-mode client(s).  I
don't have the time right now to figure out how to integrate bittorrent
with Apache, or set up a full-blown tracker or seeder, even if I wanted to
try to do that from 1000 miles away which I don't.

Is there a text-mode bittorrent client that will serve downloaded files
while and after downloading, just like ktorrent and the Windows bittorrent
client do, without having to integrate with apache or set up a tracker or
any of the other magic complicated things that seem to be required?

I already have all the F7 files I need and I just want to Do The RIght
Thing and give some of the services back to the community, not interested
in running a long-term bittorrent server or taking a large block of time
away from the time I have avaialble to set up and run F7.