Problem in F7 with the first "yum update" after installation

Raymond C. Rodgers rh at bbnk.dhs.org
Sun Jun 3 10:41:04 UTC 2007

Joachim Backes wrote:
> Updated my FC6 / x86_64 by the new F7 DVD. And after this, I wanted to
> run the first "yum update", but it failed:
>
> yum update
> Setting up Update Process
> Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: updates
>
> Can somebody help?
I ran into this same problem when I upgraded from FC6 to F7. Initially I
thought it was heavy traffic to the yum servers, but I decided to watch
the transaction in Wireshark just to be sure... What you'll probably see
is that yum is reporting your system as fedora-6 instead of 7, and that
this is causing an error... I was unable to solve this by tinkering, and
decided to do a clean install since I didn't have much data on the
machine anyway. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Raymond