FC7 on small system

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jun 3 14:51:38 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> In my experience, Fedora developers (and probably other developers too)
>> never actually test their minimal requirements.
>
> Can you elaborate on that experience?

Well, it is only of historical interest,
but I installed FC-5 on two C1VF PictureBooks with 128MB RAM,
when it said 256MB was required.
And I installed FC-6 on an Asus PIII desktop with 256MB RAM,
when it said more was required, IIRC.
I'm going to try upgrading to F-7 on this machine shortly,
so I'll find out if that works.
(The KDE F-7 Live CD worked fine on 6 different computers
I tried it on.)

> I've frequently found that a distribution works perfectly well
>> on a system below the stated minimal requirements.
>
> The "minimal" requirements are for the default set of packages. Of
> course if you install fluxbox or something you can get away with far
> less RAM.

I usually choose a custom install with almost nothing chosen,
if in doubt.
Then I do a yum update.

--
Timothy Murphy