Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 18:36:33 UTC 2007

--- Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> >> There are several choices here:
> >>
> >> Use the Live CD images
> >>
> >> Use the boot.iso/rescue.iso and do a network
> installation from
> >> http/ftp/nfs
> >>
> >> Use boot.iso/rescue.iso, put the DVD image in the
> hard disk in one
> >> partition and install it another partition.
> >
> > There are several choices, I agree.
> > (I am using one of them.)
> > But this does not alter the fact that
> > the decision to drop the CD installation set
> > was completely incomprehensible, to me at least.
> >
> > You might as well put up a banner reading,
> > "Don't install Fedora if you are a home user.
> > Try Ubuntu instead."
> >
> > Surely the aim should be to make it as easy as
> possible
> > for as many people as possible to install Fedora.
> > It is not meant to be an obstacle race.
>
> Except the fact that Ubuntu has been doing something
> similar all along.
> They provide only Live CD's and do not promote
> regular installations at
> all. Next time you do a comparison you got to check
> whether the other
> side is actually any different.
>
> Rahul
>
> --

Who cares what Ubuntu, et.all provides.  Fedora had an
edge before (despite that people will complain, I'm
with you Ric in this one), it allowed users to install
applications that they will surely miss/or cannot fit
on a CD.  These same folks are on dialup and do not
have a fast internet connection.  With the yum presto
plugin, maybe that changes, but still fedora had a big
advantage to pick and choose the software with the
multiple cd's and dvd's.

One of advantages of the LiveCD is to test the
hardware before you install, but it only has a limited
amount of software.  Should Fedora Board stick to
their guns, why not make a LiveDVD with as much
software as possible.  And if possible, also make a
special spin of cd isos as they had before.  This will
keep users happy and quickly forget the bad episodes.

Regards,

Antonio