Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 18:46:31 UTC 2007

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> installation from

>> hard disk in one
>>> There are several choices, I agree.
>>> (I am using one of them.)
>>> But this does not alter the fact that
>>> the decision to drop the CD installation set
>>> was completely incomprehensible, to me at least.
>>>
>>> You might as well put up a banner reading,
>>> "Don't install Fedora if you are a home user.
>>> Try Ubuntu instead."
>>>
>>> Surely the aim should be to make it as easy as
>> possible
>>> for as many people as possible to install Fedora.
>>> It is not meant to be an obstacle race.
>> Except the fact that Ubuntu has been doing something
>> similar all along.
>> They provide only Live CD's and do not promote
>> regular installations at
>> all. Next time you do a comparison you got to check
>> whether the other
>> side is actually any different.
>>
>> Rahul
>>
>> --
>>

> Who cares what Ubuntu, et.all provides.  Fedora had an
> edge before (despite that people will complain, I'm
> with you Ric in this one), it allowed users to install
> applications that they will surely miss/or cannot fit
> on a CD.  These same folks are on dialup and do not
> have a fast internet connection.  With the yum presto
> plugin, maybe that changes, but still fedora had a big
> advantage to pick and choose the software with the
> multiple cd's and dvd's.
>
> One of advantages of the LiveCD is to test the
> hardware before you install, but it only has a limited
> amount of software.  Should Fedora Board stick to
> their guns, why not make a LiveDVD with as much
> software as possible.  And if possible, also make a
> special spin of cd isos as they had before.  This will
> keep users happy and quickly forget the bad episodes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

One thing that I have never quite understood about this argument. Granted
that dialup is very limited. But if it so much trouble and takes so long to
download a single CD, install it, and then add few extra desired packages by
downloading just them why is it *not* more time consuming and more trouble
to download 5 CDs which contain many packages that you will probably never use?

It seems to me that one CD and several packages add later, the way it is for
F7, would be easier and faster to download and install. What am I missing?
--

  David