F7 looking [not so] good here.

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Jun 3 22:08:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 01:10:33 +0530
>> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Not really. The above two bugs are duplicates of something that yum does
>>> and if there is indeed a bug you should just file or reassign it against
>>> yum and not file different ones against individual graphical front end's.
>>
>> Hey, the tool I ran that didn't work was pirut (and even discovering that
>> was difficult since I only get to it via a menu item labeled Add/Remove
>> Software), so that's what I report the bug on. I don't have the psychic
>> powers required to determine the bug is actually in some other component.
>
> ... which is why I am informing you that so that you can close the duplicates
> and assign the bugs to yum if there is one.
>
>> Some of the missing parts are also located exclusively in the fedora
>> repos (like bogofilter and the libgsl it didn't download or claws-mail
>> and the two libraries it neglected to fetch for it).
>
> The packages in Fedora does work for me in a clean installation. If there are
> individual packages that have a dependency issue in the official Fedora
> repository then bugs should be filed against them instead. The problems in
> any third party repository packages should be reported to their bugzilla or
> mailing list. None of these seem to be a yum issue.

Let me add my voice to those who suspect that there is an issue with
Pirut.

I did a clean install from DVD without Eclipse (IIRC, I couldn't even get
Eclipse from the DVD).

I ran Pirut and selected the Development -> Eclipse collection.  Pirut
downloaded the Eclipse components I had selected and installed them, but
it did not download or install any of the 59 dependencies that Eclipse
requires.  package-cleanup reported all of them missing.

I removed the Eclipse components I had installed and then re-installed
with command-line yum.  All dependencies were detected and added, and they
are happily downloading as I write.

Similar experience with Pirut and xfig, x3270-x11, ddd, dejagnu,
amanda-client, fwbuilder.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences