Fedora 7 CD iso files?

RavenOak ravenoak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 01:08:41 UTC 2007

On 6/2/07, Knute Johnson <knute at frazmtn.com> wrote:
> >On 6/2/07, Philip Walden <pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net> wrote:
> >> I was looking at the download area an only the DVD iso is available.
> >>
> >> My older PC will only boot from a CD. Is there a download URL for the CD
> >> iso files?
> >>
> >> Phil
> >
> >If you checked the topics flying through the list today you would have
> >learned that the multi-disc CD option is no longer available.
> >
> >You can use either the Live CD or the Rescue CD to perform an initial
> >installation. Packages not included on the Live CD to hard drive
> >installation may be obtained using YUM.
>
> That works fine but you can't upgrade an existing installation
> without a DVD drive or a complicated (and not really documented so
> that a linux blivet can do it) set of procedures.
>
> I am really disappointed by this.  I don't want to have to go buy a
> DVD drive for my mail server which is an older computer (with no
> guarantee that it will work).  I just wanted to upgrade my mail
> server to F7 without a lot of hassles.  The live CDs are fun to play
> with but I would have rather had a dead CD that I could use to
> upgrade my FC5 and FC6 installations.
>
> I did install the F7 live CD on my desktop but I had to destroy the
> partitions that had xubuntu on them to get it to install.  I didn't
> really care about the xubuntu but I would have rather kept it.
>
> I saw somebody complain that it doesn't work with his laptop and the
> answer he got was "there is always somebody's laptop that it won't
> work with."  I'd rather trade all the trick stuff for "it works with
> everybody's computer" just like Winblows.
>
> --
> Knute Johnson
> Molon Labe...
>

> --

I'm not going to add yet another method that you could upgrade from
FC5 to F7 as there is already a plethora of information about that.  I
would, however, advise against do that type of ugrade.  Sometimes they
work, sometimes not.  I recently migrated all of my servers to CentOS5
(I can't afford RHEL, as I am a mere mortal) because I was in a
similar situation.  I had a file server running FC4 still, and instead
of going from FC4 to FC6, just to have to upgrade in less than 6
months, I moved to something that has a longer life span.  I'm only
suggesting something like this because you'll have to go to about the
same lengths to upgrade 2 versions to migrate to the enterprise
version (backups, etc.).  CentOS5 has a lot in common with FC6, so
there should be little adjustment if you are already familiar with
FC6.

--Tim

--
Remember:
hDDVDProcessingKey == 0x09F911029D74E35B D84156C5635688C0